Rock Radio Northern Ireland
NI ROCKS Interview with BLACK STATE HIGHWAY
I posted a recommendation for the self titled debut album from Black State Highway a few weeks ago. The album has now been released through Cherry Red Records along with the single “Ain’t Got No”. Black State Highway are a young band who play a outstanding brand of bluesy, riff-laden rock n’ roll music. The band features Latvian Liva Steinberga on vocals, Olie Trethewey and Swede Yonnis Crampton on guitars, Gordon Duncan from Scotland on bass and Harry Bland on drums. I contacted the band to answer a few questions and find out more about them.
Last Updated (Friday, 29 August 2014 10:14)
ALBUM REVIEW: Accept awe with Blind Rage release and toast their progenitors
THERE was a time when heavy metal was just heavy metal. There were no genres, sub-genres, scenes or trends. Occasionally a title might be used to group a diverse group of bands who emerged at the same time - such as the New Wave of British Heavy Metal - but all were simply heavy metal.
Accept are a band
NEWS: Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74 released in 8-disc deluxe package
RORY Gallagher is a legend, a man who could make his guitar weep with the blues, rock out with dirty sounds from his battered strat, and revive the American folk legacy with peerless acoustic.
And, Rory had a strong affinity with Belfast, almost his adopted home.
In December 1973 Rory defied the ongoing troubles, and just
NEWS: Cavaleras' extra busy (again) and Steak release video for new song
MAX Cavalera is a busy bunny - it seems he can't keep still...
Last month Soulfly were in Belfast as part of a tour cycle (review here) shortly after releasing
ALBUM REVIEW: Comply or Die bow out with stormer album in the shape of Northless
AND, lo it was foretold that all good things must come to an end...and Comply or Die have drawn a neat line from their birth to their demise with this, their third album, 'Northless'.
But, if you are going to allow your band to die, do it with style; a style resonating with hardcore, punk and prog metal in a furious
NEWS: Lepps and American Football...
DEF Leppard are to get fans rocked for the first of this year's NFL International Series game on Sunday, September 28th, when the Oakland Raiders play the Miami Dolphins at Wembley Stadium.
Given most of out contributors like the Lepps (for the editor it's a nostalgia thing) and American Football it's a perfect(ish) mix.
NI ROCKS Recommends "Double Agent" by MISS BEHAVIOUR
“Double Agent” is the third album from Swedish melodic rock band Miss Behaviour and is released through AOR Heaven on 1st September. I’ll be honest and say that I was a bit unsure about this one initially. A quick flick through the tracks however warranted a download and another listen. Having now played the album from start to finish several times it has most definitely grown on me and certainly warrants a recommendation. Indeed the opening track “On With The Show” has already found its way onto the Friday NI Rocks Show this week.
Last Updated (Monday, 25 August 2014 11:31)
ALBUM REVIEW: Overkill strike hard on #17 with fully armed White Devil Armory
IT seems that Overkill have been around forever, given that their roots first dug into the earth in 1980 as The Lubricunts in 1980. But 34 years later can they still remain relevant as the thrash movement evolves and moves on?
On White Devil Armory, the band's 17th release, it could be argued that they haven't
NEWS: Symphony X, Inter Arma, Nonpoint
NEWS: Mike LePond, Inter Arma, Nonpoint updates
NI ROCKS Recommends "The Answer of Insanity" by FAITHSEDGE
“The Answer of Insanity” is the second album from Californian band Faithsedge, following on from their self-titled debut that was released in 2011. The new album is released through Scarlet Records on 1st September and delivers ten great rock tracks. The press release states that Faithsedge provide “a perfect mix of hard rock, heavy metal and progressive, with lots of vocals and hooks, shredding guitar solos, pounding bass and drums and plenty of melodically challenging songwriting.” Who am I to argue with that!?!
- NEWS: SLF hit lucky 13 in Rock Album charts
- NEWS: Liv Kristen goes solo, Alestorm storm the charts
- LIVE REVIEW: Amon Amarth Darkest Era - From The Viking Pit
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Worlds Entwined" by SCAR FOR LIFE
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Get Your Rock On" By X-DRIVE
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Space Invader" By ACE FREHLEY
- LIVE REVIEW: Rockin' the Diamond with Ajenda and Lo Mejor
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Adrenaline Rush" by ADRENALINE RUSH
- NI ROCKS Interview with GREGORY LYNN HALL
- Where to find our review of Prong and Sinocence....
- EP REVIEW: 12-legged crustacean crushes as Warcrab revel in the Ashes of Carnage
- NEWS: Prong, Slomatics, Ajenda in another busy week
- MAVERICK - Paint By Numbers video
- NI ROCKS Recommends "Black State Highway" by BLACK STATE HIGHWAY
- LIVE REVIEW: Super and fantastic night with Eric Martin and Phil Bam (M$R) in County Antrim
- LIVE REVIEW: War, doom and thrash - Limelight caught in headlights by Wardomized, Owlcrusher and Scimitar
- LIVE REVIEW: The Bluefields bring a blast of southern charm and rock 'n' roll to County Antrim
- ALBUM REVIEW - OBSCENITY WARNING - How Alestorm mark the Sunset of the Golden Age - avast ye landlubbers!
- NI ROCKS Playlists for July 2014
- INTERVIEWS: Bloodstock! We're comin' to get ya! Stormzone and Rabid Bitch of the North preview their festival appearance